January 21, 2012

Celebrating Successes

I often forget to celebrate.  I get so caught up in the preparations, the machinations, the deliberations, that once an event or a success arrives, I don’t take time to enjoy it.  I have noticed this about myself not only in celebrating my own successes but also the successes of others.  I tend to move on very quickly once a task or project is completed.

Things are changing though….having children has changed this for me.  I want them to know how proud I am of them.  I want them to know that if they work hard towards a goal and achieve it, that they you should feel good inside.  That it’s OK to celebrate and enjoy the moment.
I make a point of bending down and whispering in their little ears to tell them how proud I am of them.  I tell them how strong they are.  I tell them that I am impressed with how hard they have practiced.  We have ice cream for dinner after a successful week at Tae Kwon Do or at school.
I always emphasize goal setting when I talk with others about weight loss and fitness, but also I focus on celebrating the success when goals are achieved.  Be proud about your accomplishments.  Enjoy compliments.  Reward yourself.  Have ice cream for dinner once in awhile when you deserve it. Feel good about even the small successes – they will sustain you as you work hard towards the next goal.
Walking the (active) Talk:  I really enjoy talking with others about their goals, how they are going to work towards them, how their journey is playing out.  I celebrate that I can encourage others to take better care of themselves and to improve their fitness. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing about your successes this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what my post-run LaBatts is all about!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!